Monday, May 11, 2015

Pictures from the Backyard

When I was diagnosed with lung cancer, I had to quit doing my most favorite thing in the world - playing agility with my dogs. I simply didn't have the strength or the stamina for it. It broke my heart because when I quit doing agility, I also quit hearing much from the people I thought were my friends. Unfortunately, there are lots of things about cancer than cause pain besides tumors. Losing your friends, or those you considered friends but who turned out to be acquaintances, is one of the hardest. I've been fighting this battle for over 2-1/2 years and it still hurts.

But, that's not what this post is about. I quit doing agility, but I was determined to have something to do to occupy my thoughts. I refuse to dwell on the fact that I have lung cancer. I spent quite a lot of time in my backyard. It is a peaceful, happy place. I love it back there. I bought lots of pretty flowers and hung bird feeders.

The flowers brought color to my world and the birds that visited my feeders brought joy. I didn't have any energy, but it didn't take any to sit in the backyard and enjoy what God has created. In fact, spending time relaxing in all of the beauty rejuvenated me.

Pretty soon, I decided I wanted to capture the memories so I brought the camera out. With the help of an excellent photographer friend of mine from Midland, I practiced using the various settings on the camera. What I haven't learned - then or now - is how to use any of the software that allows you to REALLY enhance your work. I know I need to learn, but I always put it off. Chemo brain dissuades me from doing many things that require a great deal of learning and concentration.

I seem to be getting distracted a lot tonight. Tonight's post is titled "Pictures from the Backyard" and that's what I want to talk about!

Throughout my journey, I have snapped a lot of shots in my backyard. I am a prolific picture taker and I am not usually inclined to get rid of any of them! I have thousands and thousands of pictures. Don't start groaning! I don't intend to post them all here!

But, I took some today that I want to share because I enjoyed taking them and I enjoyed seeing them when I loaded them onto the computer. I hope you might enjoy them as well.

Abstract! I did this by spinning the lens while the shutter was open. I like it!

This is the flower that is in the center of the spin art above. It is a Dahlia.

This bud will ultimately open into a bloom like the one above. Beautiful!


Canna and Asiatic lilies -- bring joy to my life!
Close-up of the canna.
Asiatic lilies. They are gorgeous, but they really don't last very long. I enjoy them while they are blooming!

I take lots of pictures of the little lemons. They fascinate me!


A butterfly weed

Another butterfly weed
A close-up of the bud above. I love all of the teeny flowers!

A third butterfly weed. The three butterfly weed plants are supposed to attract monarch butterflies and give them a place to lay their eggs. Unfortunately, I have seen not one butterfly on the plants. Lots of flies and bees though. You'll see those later :)


A beautiful  dianthus bloom. Right after a rainstorm.

More dianthus. I love these little flowers that just keep on keeping on.


This picture and the one above are lemon tree blooms. You have missed a true blessing if you have never gotten to smell lemon tree blooms. They smell so good! And, they're beautiful, I think.


Close-up of a marigold. My marigolds have not enjoyed the torrential rains we have had lately.



Cool Shots


I love playing with the camera. The following shots are me playing. Just practicing and playing!



A raindrop about to fall)

Flies and bees love this flower.

Flies? Bees? Very lovely green color, whatever they are!

This flower is supposed to attract butterflies and bees. Instead, there are flies, flies, and more flies!



Same for these flowers. They are supposed to attract butterflies/hummers. Instead, I get flies and whatever the green bug is!





This butterfly just happened to fly up when I was outside taking pictures. Think he is pretty (in a dull sort of way) so I followed him from plant to plant taking his picture!













No comments:

Post a Comment