Thursday, December 5, 2013

Research Drugs

Wow! Time flies, doesn't it? I had resolved to be more faithful to my blog ... you never know if there might be a person out there who might be helped by getting to know someone else who is facing the same battle they are. But, months have passed and I haven't written a word.

Today is treatment day again. I praise God on treatment days that this test drug does not make me sick. At all. Such a nice switch from the initial treatments I was given. I have been told the drug company that makes this test drug will soon be asking the FDA for approval. I hope they get it so that lots of cancer patients can be treated with it. I'm not sure if it is just for lung cancer or not, but it is wonderful :).

Which brings me to a subject that is somewhat confusing to me. I saw something recently that said that only 5% of cancer patients go into a research study. Why?

The traditional treatments I received had held the tumors at bay as long as I was getting them. But, as soon as we stopped them, the tumors began to grow again. And, because the treatments I had been getting were so harsh, we couldn't continue that particular regimen.

So, I didn't have a lot of options. I could have undergone a different chemo treatment that didn't work very well and that would have made me even sicker than what I'd been getting did or I could try a research drug. I didn't spend ANY time trying to decide which route was the right one for me. And, I have never, ever, not for one second, been sorry I decided to go with the research drug.

I've been getting the research drug since July. My blood work is still phenomenal. I haven't lost a pound (though I wish I could lose about 40!!!). We eat before we start our long day at the hospital and we eat again when the day is done - no nausea!! Not right after the treatment and not later either. I am a bit more fatigued the day after a treatment than I am otherwise, but it isn't significant. I have participated in agility trials on a Saturday after receiving treatments on the previous Thursday. That wouldn't be happening if I was getting the old "tried and true" chemo drugs. I'd be spending most of my time being sick, I'm afraid.

My last CT scan could not detect the tumors in my lymph nodes in my neck. The tumors in my lungs are just sitting there - not growing, not spreading. 

I think it was one year ago today that I had my very first chemo treatment. None of us had much hope that I would still be here today, blogging away and still getting treatments. But, here I am and I feel great!!! Just last weekend, I took my Barney-dog to Waco for an agility trial. He and I ran in three events on Friday evening, six on Saturday, and another two on Sunday before we headed back home. We didn't just run, we were competitive!!! Mr. Barney earned himself two elite titles and seven or eight qualifying scores - first or second place each time. Who would have thought?

God isn't finished with me on this old earth ... and even though I know that Heaven is a far better place than here ... I'm really glad that He's left me here for awhile! :) I just hope that I'm adequately fulfilling whatever purpose He has for leaving me here.

Time to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment