Tuesday, December 22, 2015

12 Days of Christmas

The Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Gardens are a sight to behold. They have special events throughout the year. In the spring, we'll have thousands upon thousands of daffodils and tulips blooming. It is an amazing sight.




In October, the gardens turn orange with pumpkins and gourds. You can spend hours and hours looking at all of the displays and gorgeous fall colors.



But in December, the Arboretum turns into a winter wonderland. That's a difficult thing to do in Dallas, Texas. This year, our temperatures are staying in the upper 60s and low 70s. We're supposed to have record-breaking heat for Christmas Day.

Our plants are so confused. The length of days and nights says it is winter. But, the temperatures say it is spring. Most of the trees have lost their leaves, but flowers are blooming away!








(As an aside - I sure wish I had more control over how pictures appear on this blog! I am really tempted to get my own domain name and use a program that can be manipulated!)

So, while we can stroll through the Arboretum and have visions of spring dancing through our heads, we also have the pleasure of a $2 million display of the 12 Days of Christmas. And, that is actually the reason for this blog post. I want to share with you the beauty of the exhibit. If you live anywhere near the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex, a visit is definitely worth your time. Please plan to stay all day! I've been twice in as many weeks and I still haven't seen everything I want to see!

On the First Day of Christmas, my true love gave to me ...


a Partridge in a Pear Tree




On the Second Day of Christmas ...


Two turtle doves


On the Third Day of Christmas ...


Three French hens


On the Fourth Day of Christmas ...


Four calling birds


On the Fifth Day of Christmas ...


Five golden rings


And, on the Sixth Day of Christmas, my true love gave to me...


Six geese a-layin'



And, on the Seventh Day of Christmas ...


(my true love gave to me one of my favorite gazebos!)

Seven swans a-swimmin'




On the Eighth Day of Christmas ...

Eight maids a-milkin'



 This is the only exhibit that you must walk all the way around to see it all. All of the others are on a round-table that spins.

On the Ninth Day of Christmas ...

Nine ladies dancing
This gazebo is my favorite of the 12. The detail is more than amazing. It is, unfortunately, situated in a spot where it is difficult to get pictures without glare. Nevertheless, I have taken dozens of it and will post many here for your amusement!

Every lady is outfitted in an amazing dress with jewelry to match. Each carries a dance card.

Daytime
Night-time
Close-up of jewelry and hair adornment

Notice the detail in the dress. And ... do you see the little white mouse poking his head out from the Christmas tree skirt?


This is obviously a different dancer, but look at the detail. Her ring is a flower shape; she has a pencil hanging on her wrist beside her dance card.

On the tenth day of Christmas...




my true love gave me 10 Lords a-leapin'

Several of the displays have mice hidden in them. We found this little mouse hiding in an old log, watching the lords skating.



On the Eleventh Day of Christmas, my true love gave to me ...







And, finally, on the Twelfth Day of Christmas, my true love gave to me ...







Besides the exhibit, the view at the Arboretum, whether winter or summer , fall or spring, is beyond belief.








Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment